Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas With Cancer, Part 3

Christmas With Cancer, Part Three

After a perfectly normal couple of weeks post discharge from the hospital and a great Saturday with my children and their kids there was a recurrence of previously described problems but this time with a rather clinically interesting issue.

After contacting my  uro-oncologist on the following Monday  arrangements were made for a cystoscopy late that same afternoon. Daughter Pattie (who has been absolutely terrific in transporting me back and forth to various cystos, etc. as have Adam and Carrie who look after Bowser and anything else that may come up) dropped everything an took me once again to day stay surgery at Baptist where I was prepped and wheeled in for my third cystoscopy in the past 24 days.

Results: The large clots that were passing are from my prostate and not the bladder! It seems that the radiation therapy  from six plus years ago was just now causing prostate tissue to die and slough off in thin layers which was blocking my efforts to empty the bladder. It was decided that I was to go back into the hospital for an overnight stay with irrigation catheterization.

Oy! I was reminded of the concept of Boyle's Law (no, not a tv show) on the properties of water pressure effect through increasing and decreasing pipe diameters.

After the overnight stay and considerable discomfort I was back out in time to have dinner with my nephew James who was in town on business from Dallas and who informed me that he was accepted at graduate school for the UT-Dallas MBA program of study. Way to go James!

What about today (12/18)? Laundry, Christmas shopping and praying that no more blockages rise up to have yet another urology visit. This afternoon I'll do some more work on the UNC-Chapel Hill video course on the New Testament and maybe some more work on the book.

About the book: I'm going to be setting up a donation site on PubSlush.com with prizes at certain donation levels to help fund the publishing expenses which can be quite expensive. I have self funded my past three books with mixed results so I'm going to try this avenue for book number four. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me as this develops.


1 comment:

  1. Got my fingers crossed for you. Have a Merry Christmas. I'll give you a call soon.

    ReplyDelete